What is a study to work visa?

Many students who have entered New Zealand then wish to stay on and work. There two options under the New Zealand Study to Work Visa category of temporary work visa:

1. If you do not have a job offer but wish to stay and work in New Zealand
In this instance you would need to apply for a post study open work visa. This provides you with a 12 month post study work permit which is not specific to an employer. Should you subsequently be offered a suitable position you can then apply for a 2 or 3 year employer assisted work visa.

2. If you have a job offer from a New Zealand employer that you wish to take up
In this instance you would need to apply for post study employer assisted work visa. This can be for a 2 year period of time and extended to 3 when working towards a membership or registration that requires more than 2 years of work experience.